How to make a great FREE website for your trade or property business

Getting your construction or property business online pt1


A lot of building trade and property businesses either don't have a website for their marketing or have done it poorly themselves, so I thought I'd write a couple of posts about websites and doing it yourself for free and how to make it work for you.

Now, I'm not discounting web designers and going to one for your website, it has advantages over making one for yourself, however it has a cost too! At the end of the day it's your decision, I hope this series of posts will help you, if you do go to see or already have a website designer doing your site.
Marketing website image

So, What do I know


Firstly let me tell you about why I think I'm qualified to talk about websites. I'd like to point out I'm not an expert web designer/ builder, however I've read a lot and formed my own opinions of what I think makes a good site and there are a lot of differing opinions out there, I've also had a bit of experience in building my own sites.

I built my own first website back in the 90's using HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) which is the main programming code for websites, since then I've made several websites using hosting packages from companies such as 123-reg.co.uk which is the type a lot of trades use now or the hosted ones from the likes of Yell!


What free website builder to use 


I now use Google sites and have made 19 sites to date for myself and other people using Sites, I made my own electrical website for my business, which is now dormant, in that I don't work on it, there is a lot I could do to make it work better, however it still gets me calls every week for jobs, so I keep it live to pass that business on. I've also made the Marketing for Trades website using Google Sites too.

I like Google sites as it's simple to use, there are plenty of templates to choose from and if you spend a bit of time learning how to use it and can use something like Microsoft Word then you can make a perfectly good site to start marketing your building trade or property business, for free which is really great if you're a start up!


What makes a good website



There are some key things that I think make a good basic website; 
    Marketing Top Tips image
  • What you do and how you can help solve a customers want or need should be in the top left of the home page of your site (As on my sites), not your logo, I've said it before people do not care about your logo, it's only you that does, people want to know that they can find what they are looking for, so you need to tell them straight away how you can help them.
  • Your contact number needs to be on the right in a large font to make it easy to see/ find. Some people will call you straight away without looking at the rest of your site, don't make it hard for them to contact you by looking for your number or going to a contact page (still have a contact page though) otherwise they may just leave and go somewhere else.
  • Your logo I think it's still important to have this but have it on the right or left, lower down but above what is called the fold, that's the top part of the website you can see without scrolling down.
  • Keep colours & fonts to a minimum, too many and your site looks messy and it makes it harder to read, you should really only use one maybe two fonts maximum and 3 or 4 colours. Less really is more.
  • Use pictures They make a site come alive and break up the text on the site, if you've got your own that's best rather than use stock photos, it makes a site more personal and everyone has seen that american tradesman in a hard hat!
  • Have a contact form rather than an email address, if you have a contact form it's easy for people to contact you, with an email address, you're reliant on them having to open their email program maybe cut and paste or type your email in and then send it to you, a contact form is easier.

One of the most powerful things about having a site you've built is that you can add and edit pages as and when you want, with a website designer/builder you'll have to wait and there will be a charge.

There is far more to a website, and just having a website alone will not get you business, I'll save the rest for the following posts over the next few days...



To your online marketing success

Paul Jennings


Once you've digested this post you can move on to part 2 about how to start getting your website found


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This